Home Staging Guide for Sellers
by: Lauren (Proske) Miller
As the in-house Staging Consultant I have the privilege of examining each condo before it hits the market, and trust me when I say that, I have seen it all! My role is to provide a report to the homeowners which outlines what to do, change, add, remove, update, etc. in order to best present the home. The goal is always to sell the listing as quickly as possible for the highest price, and proper preparation of the home is part of achieving that goal. While each home has a unique set of needs, I have compiled a list of the TOP 5 things every homeowner should do while preparing to sell his/her home.
- Hire a professional cleaning service! Trust me, it’s worth it. Out of all of the consultations I have completed I have never seen a single one that wouldn’t benefit from this. Let’s be serious, you are on your way out the door and the last thing you want to do is get on hands and knees and scrub the floor. The list to provide to the cleaning service: clean all windows inside and out, bleach grout in kitchen and bathrooms, remove all air vents to clean and replace, clean on top of fans and inside light fixtures, clean all corners on floor and ceilings.
- Replace all light bulbs with “instant on” and maximum wattage. Everyone wants a bright and well-lit home and even though these are not the best for energy consumption they are the best for listing and showing your home.
- Repaint all doors, trim and molding white. Most buyers will repaint the walls upon move in to suit individual taste, however a fresh coat of white paint over all of the trim, molding and doors is like whitening your teeth! Makes the whole place look sharp and shows less wear and tear!
- De-personalize. The buyer needs to be able to envision him/ herself living in your home, de-personalizing helps greatly with this. Family photos that are nicely displayed on the wall are OK however frames that sit on countertops, dressers or other surfaces should be stored away. Other items to store away, anything religious, political or inappropriate.
- De-clutter. This one seems obvious but you would be surprised! Cluttered homes look and feel smaller and make the buyer want to run! Plus this process also helps you start packing up! Remove all items from the floors of closets and organize shelves. All countertops and dressers should only have the items on top that are currently in use. It is okay to keep children’s toys that can be store away in bins however the larger play houses should be packed up and placed in storage. Large exercise equipment should also be removed.
*Lauren is a licensed real estate agent with PRIME Real Estate Group. Click here for her full biography and background.
Danielle was amazing in our search and buying process. We were first time buyers, and she walked us through every step. She was always reachable no matter how many questions we had or when. Danielle first started showing us properties about a year before we were ready to buy. When Danielle showed us the place we fell in love with we were just there to browse and were not even pre-qualified yet. She helped us get qualified, put in an offer, go through a bidding process and get the place under con…
I could not have had a better experience with Liza as my real estate agent, especially as a first time buyer! Even her interdisciplinary referrals were terrific, and her empathic and personable approach helped me buy the perfect home for my fiancé and I!
Matt helped make my first time buying a condo a great experience. I had a lot of questions and Matt was very patient and knowledgeable throughout the entire process. He was quick to understand exactly what my fiancee and I were looking for and showed us several great options. Once we decided on the right one, Matt gave us great advice to get our offer accepted. After that, he helped simplify what can be a very confusing and overwhelming experience of closing on the condo. I would highly recommen…
Liza is the Best! She had local contacts for all the stages of my process. Her contacts were experienced and knowledgeable. They all worked hard and together to help me close in about 40 days. Liza is a people person, right away she made me feel comfortable and at ease, weather in person or with her cute voice messages. ;-). She answered all my questions and if she did not know the answer she recommend someone who would. Liza used her experience to make sure I was aware of all those little thing…
We were so pleased with Marco when he sold us our home that we never considered using anyone other than Marco when it came time for us to sell it. Over the years, Marco kept us updated on the strength or weakness of the housing market and the value of the apartment, giving us an unbiased assessment of the pros and cons of selling, and never pressuring us in either way. We appreciate his integrity, concern for our well-being, and keen sense of navigating and maximizing the buying and selling of o…
Liza helped us purchase a home within 3 months in a tight seller’s market. She explained every step of the buying process to us in detail and was extremely patient, responsive, and persistent with finding answers to our questions. She does her research and is well connected to reputable home inspectors, mortgage lenders, and attorneys who closed our deal quickly with advantageous terms. At no point did she rush or pressure us to make a decision. She is honest, ethical, and very easy to work with…
Todd and his colleague Jesse were extraordinarily helpful in our recent search to buy a condo. Our search was exclusive to Hoboken and Todd and Jesse had deep knowledge not only of available properties, but also of ongoing construction projects and what might be coming onto the market over the next few months. We were able to buy a place through Todd and Jesse before it was “officially” listed, and ended up with a great property at a very fair price. We were very happy with him
Danielle is a true professional. I’ve worked with other real estate agents in the past, but Danielle is by far the best I’ve ever worked with. From the beginning to end she put my soul at ease and handled all aspects of the sale. I wil personally never work with anyone else, and highly recommend Danielle to anyone buying or selling a home..
Todd assisted me to purchase an apartment in the Hudson Tea building. After living in NY for several years and working with several brokers and can tell that Todd is in different level of service, whether is his honesty, integrity or responsiveness for any question that we have any day in the week. He made the process 10 times easier and more clear. If you are looking for a broker in the Hoboken area, he is defiantly the right guy and I was defiantly lucky enough to find him and use his service…
We’ve worked with Caryn twice (once for a rental and then to buy). She’s extremely professional; knowledgeable about the market, never pushy, and wants to see you find the right home. Caryn had so much patience with us as we looked for apartments and she made a stressful process fun and pain free.